Type 1 diabetes, pregnancy and life as a new mum (audio & resources)
Do you live with type 1 diabetes (T1D) and are thinking about starting a family? Or maybe you’re already pregnant? Our Let’s Talk T1D discussion is for you!
In this chat, a group of women came together to talk about all things type 1 diabetes, pregnancy and being a new mum.
Led by JDRF’s mental health lead Melanie Cullen, we heard personal stories from Laura Hill, a pregnant mum who lives with T1D, and expert advice from Dr Jane Overland, a leading T1D nurse practitioner and co-author of our guide to living well with T1D.
From pregnancy and birth through to breastfeeding, finding a pregnancy-friendly endo and your baby’s health, we covered a huge range of topics and offered lots of helpful advice.
Listen to the audio, then check out the resources below.
Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy: recommended resources
- Type 1 Diabetes and Pregnancy – Bump, Baby and Beyond (Australian women)
- Type 1 Diabetes and Pregnancy
- Type 1 Diabetes & Trying to Conceive
- T1D Connect 25 years+ (JDRF’s group for adults living with T1D)
- MamaBetes: Created by three Australian women, this podcast covers pregnancy and life as a mum while living with T1D.
- Australian Birth Stories: This podcast features a wide range of birth stories, with a few episodes focusing on T1D (including Podcast Episode 227: Sarah). There is also a book, which touches on high risk births and T1D (and why mums with T1D are considered high risk), as well as birthing options (including the process of inductions).
- Type 1 on 1 Diabetes Stories: This episode shares one mum’s story of pregnancy after being diagnosed with T1D.
- JDRF’s book, Straight to the Point, offers a wide range of information for adults living with T1D, including a section on women’s health. Get your copy here.
- NDSS has produced a book on pregnancy, called Having a Healthy Baby. Get your copy here.
The Australian Breastfeeding Association has some information on breastfeeding with T1D. Laura also recommends speaking to the lactation consultant at your hospital, as well as your diabetes educator or endocrinologist.
Laura’s pregnancy stories
Innovate in the world of type 1 diabetes: join the Commercialisation Essentials Workshop
Are you passionate about creating a world where research breakthroughs in type 1 diabetes (T1D) are rapidly turned into tangible treatments; a world where the most promising discoveries don’t just remain in labs but make their way swiftly to those who need them the most? Do you have a pioneering research project, innovative idea, or […]
Fiasp insulin to remain on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
MEDIA RELEASE Fiasp insulin to remain on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme The new listing of Fiasp® Penfill® on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme will keep the life-saving medication available to the 15,000+ Australians who rely on it Sydney, 18 September 2023: JDRF Australia is welcoming an announcement from Minister for Health, Hon Mark Butler, that Fiasp […]
Type 1 diabetes and women’s health: periods and menopause
We all know how powerful hormones can be in controlling menstrual cycles, so it’s no surprise that they can also affect blood glucose levels. This can also make life a bit more challenging for women living with type 1 diabetes (T1D). In our book for adults living with T1D, Straight to the Point, we look […]
Support for siblings of children living with type 1 diabetes
If you have experience with type 1 diabetes (T1D), you’ll know that it can affect the whole family. And siblings of a child living with T1D can also be impacted by their brother or sister’s diagnosis. Although they’re not the ones being treated for T1D, siblings can be significantly impacted in lots of other ways. […]