The third and final addition to JDRF Australia’s Tune Up Takeaway is a T1D-friendly Spicy Black Bean Burger recipe, supplied by clinical Nutritionist (BHSc) @naturally_nina_, who also lives with diabetes.
These yummy morsels are plant-based, gluten free and are great for burger night, on sandwiches and wraps or even just by themselves.
There’s also many ways you can adapt this recipe to fit in with your needs. If you’re not a plant-based eater, you could substitute some ingredients with lean mince. For those of you who are extra hungry, why not add extra salads, or home cooked potato chips? You could even turn the burgers into a lower carb option with a lettuce wrap. The possibilities are endless!
However you choose to make this recipe your own, we can’t wait to see what you create.
Spicy Black Bean Burgers
- 400g cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a tray with baking paper
- Add all ingredients into a food processor and blend to form a chunky (not completely smooth!) puree
- Using your hands, form the mixture into 6 burger patties (it helps if you have wet hands to do this to stop the mix from sticking!), and place on your baking tray
- Bake for 20 minutes, taking them out after 15 minutes to flip over with a spatula, until firm and lightly browned
- Assemble your burgers and enjoy!
If you’re not a plant-based eater: Substitute cooked black beans, chickpea flour and baking powder for your preferred protein.
To further Tune Up your nutrition, you can download Straight To The Point: A Guide for Adults Living With Type 1 Diabetes, check out our Type 1 Diabetes Parents Guide or follow us on Facebook and Instagram.